Tourism in Kyrgyzstan
Let us introduce you Kyrgyzstan – the land where dreams come true and the voice of waterfalls along with tender purling whisper of rivers will call you here again and again…
It’s a beautiful mountainous country, amazing by its virgin nature, original culture and unprecedented hospitality, crystal lakes, many mountain rivers, hot summer and snowy winter. Kyrgyzstan is located on the intersection of the Great Silk Road. The system of caravan routes ran across Kyrgyzstan during 15 centuries and connected Eastern and Western civilizations were called the Great Silk Road.
The total area is 198 square meters 5. km. The territory is divided into seven regions – Chui, Talas, Issyk-Kul, Naryn, Osh, Jalal-Abad and Batken. Capital – Bishkek city with a population of about one million inhabitants. The total population of the republic of 5,5 million people.
Official language – Kyrgyz, Russian language has official status.
It has the most liberal tourist visa policy in Central Asia and one of the more progressive post-Soviet governments in the region.
Taking into account the principle of succession, traditional trends of tourism in Kyrgyzstan in new history, the condition of infrastructure and the objects of tourism, the most perspective can be the following types of tourism:
- Resort-recreational tourism. Over 90% of Kyrgyzstan lies above 1,500 m with unspoiled countryside and the primordial beauty of towering mountains, which give Kyrgyzstan more than 28 thousand rivulets, sparkling streams and crystal clear brooks. There are 1,923 large and small lakes in the Republic but the largest and best known is Issyk-Kul Lake.
- Cultural & Eco-Tourism. Kyrgyzstan is one of the last few unpolluted places on our planet that along with its beautiful alpine scenery has preserved its nomadic traditions, rich heritage and cultural continuity that date back many thousands of years. The ecological wealth and diversity and the cultural heritage of Kyrgyzstan are suited to understanding man’s relationship with nature. Living in a mainly mountainous country, the Kyrgyz people have always moved great distances according to a way of life requiring seasonal migrations.
- International tourism in the Great Silk Road. The Great Silk Road is the popular name given to the system of caravan trade routes that lasted for approximately centuries and linked the Eastern Western civilizations between the Ancient and middle Ages. The Great Silk Route is one of the most significant achievements in the history of the world civilization. Located on the Great Silk Road Kyrgyzstan has always been a crossroads of trade and cultural exchanges between China, Iran, India and the Arabian Sea and has become home for more than 80 nationalities and ethnic communities, including Kyrgyz, Russians, Ukrainians, Uzbeks, Germans, Tatars, Kazakhs, Uigurs and Tajiks. As a multinational state Kyrgyzstan has a rich variety of languages, literature, folklore, arts, crafts, customs and communities that lend colour and variety to Kyrgyz culture.
- Business Tourism. Kyrgyzstan has number of good hotels with all necessary facilities and comfort in Bishkek (Hyatt, Golden Dragon, Ak-Keme, Silk Road Lodge and others) and the Issyk-Kul region (Kyrgyzskoe vzmor’e, Raduga, Aurora and others), where conferences, presentations etc. can be organized.
- Sport tours. This block of tours includes an active tourism like the high-altitude ascents to the 7 thousands summits, climbing, biking tours along the crystal clear mountain lake Issyk-Kul, motor-tours, horseback-riding through the high passes and Alpine meadows, you will ride across virgin natural landscapes of Tien-Shan high mountainous area covered with edelweiss’s, primulas, high mountainous roses and tulips. Also we provide the travel opportunities for adventure tours and trekking expeditions around Kyrgyzstan.
- Nature and wildlife tours. During the tours you will explore the natural variety and beauty of Kyrgyzstan. You may also make pictures of wild birds and animals and fascinating landscapes. This route will give you the rare possibility to explore the uniquely beautiful Issyk-Kul and Naryn, together with affected severity of Central Tien-Shan, which suddenly opens with delightful lakes Issyk-Kul and Son-Kul.
Nations, great empires, ancient centers of trade and culture appeared, developed, became famous and fell into decay on this area. Kyrgyzstan’s geographical location provided its important position on the Great Silk Road. Mountains are the symbol of the republic, encircling Kyrgyzstan they serve as a natural border also. The highest mountains are located in the central part of mountain massif between the sources of Ala-Archa and Alamedin Rivers. This is also a perfect place to ski or to spend vocation in winter time.
Mountain skiing lodges and entertainment complexes will provide you a decent rest. The most popular skiing places are Oru-Sai, Kashka-Suu, Chong-Tash, Norus, skiing lodge in Karakol, mountaineers camp etc. There is a full complex of services: sauna, billiards, chimney-halls, conference halls, restaurants and bars.
For the past few years alpinism became the most actively developed branch of kyrgyz tourism. There is everything that provides both enjoyable and professional alpinism : high mountains, snow slopes, and glaciers. 90% of the territory of Kyrgyzstan is on the level of more than 1000 meters above the sea level. The peaks like Victory (Pobeda) peak (7439) and Lenin peak (7134) are among the highest after the Himalayas and Pamir. Inylchek is one of the long glaciers and of the world significance.
There are a lot of picturesque gorges with impressive landscapes in Kyrgyzstan. The most precious sorts of nut-trees such as walnut-trees, almond-trees, pistachio-trees and others are growing here. Kyrgyzstan is rich in beautiful mountain rivers and gorgeous waterfalls, taking their clear waters down to valleys. Rough streams in this area make rafting very exciting and popular.
There are about 2000 high mountainous lakes in Kyrgyzstan. Issyk-Kul lake is called “a pearl of Kyrgyzstan”. This is the second biggest mountain lake after the South-American Titicaca Lake. The bathing season lasts 6 months. The temperature of water in summer is +240C, in winter +40C. Crystal-pure water, mineral springs in combination with mountain and sea air create the unique conditions for the rest in a resort with the mud and thermal treatment.
The name Issyk-Kul means “warm lake”, and the lake is never freezes in fact. Due to the combination of mountain and marine climate the air in Issyk-Kul valley is not scorching and stuffy in summer time, and the nights are always fresh. In summertime the water warms up till +25+28 degrees centigrade on a shoal, and only till +20 in the depth. The best time for rest on the shore is summer and the “velvet” season that lasts till the middle of September.
There are a lot of health resorts, health centers, hotels and children’s health complexes, which provide top-level rest. Here you can enjoy marvelous national and European cuisine, visit bars, restaurants, tennis-courts, billiards; you also can make a boat trip, horse tours, falconry, fishing, and trips to picturesque mountain gorges. The whole year round you can get qualified treatment, including thermal, mineral water and mud-treatment, different kinds of massage, and many other services
We really can help you to learn our country, its original culture and history, to enjoy its unusual, charming nature and to get acquainted with its hospitable and friendly people.
We would like to introduce you a traditional routes like treks, coach, biking or horse tours so exotic season programs: quest for the snow leopard, country of gigantic birds, falconry. For the acute sensations fanciers we offer ascents of 7, 6, 5, 4-thousand meters, heli-ski, paragliding, rafting and other.
The Kyrgyz pride themselves on their horsemanship … it is often said that Kyrgyz boys learn to ride before they can walk. This Horse riding tour gives you the possibility of enjoying the amazing beauty of the Central Tien Shan mountains, seeing one of the most magnificent mountain lakes, indulging in your passion for riding, and last but not least, experiencing the ancient culture of the Kyrgyz nomads, which is still alive today in the Djailoos (summer alpine pastures) where you will be welcomed with the warmest hospitality and invited to partake in all they may offer you in their yurts (Kyrgyz national dwelling).
People who like trekking will explore beautiful places: reserves and natural parks, historical and architectural monuments. They will make an acquaintance with nomadic life of Kyrgyz people, and will live in their dwellings – yurts. That’s the really amazing adventure. For people who like hunting we can offer some unusual and unique tours.